As I write this, CLAT 2026 is a fair distance away. Those thinking of taking CLAT 2026 might yet be in class 10 or 11. Yet, is it too far? I interviewed 3 CLAT 2024 toppers(Rank 4, 12 and 40) recently. You can watch the videos of those interviews here and here. One thing was common among all 3. They started when they were in their class 11.
So, this is your time to start preparation. By preparation, I certainly do not mean immersing yourselves for hours into CLAT preparation for today. We used to day that “first year is rest year!” and that I guess should remain so.
But even while resting easy, you can start your CLAT 2026 preparation!
CLAT 2026 : Skills required and work you should do
Before you even see the syllabus, you should know what skills the exam requires from you. As someone who scored Rank 11 in CLAT 2024, and also a teacher for CLAT, I am in a unique position to tell you about these skills.
- Firstly, you should be able to read at a decent pace. The speed of 150 words per minute and above is non-negotiable if you wish to complete the CLAT paper. for those below this speed, this is the time to increase this. You might want to see this video and learn a few things about how to do that. You will be able to increase it within a few months. As you have time, the most enjoyable way to increase this would be to keep a reading habit. Read what interests you, because read you have to when you become a lawyer! Read novels, non-fiction, motivational books, or even daily newspaper. This will also help you in the second skill.
- Secondly, you have to improve your vocabulary. In my time, I used to keep a lot of loose sheets and keep writing words and meanings in those. Over time, I memorised a lot of words. But I had a disadvantage. Till 12th, I studied in Hindi medium. So, most of you would have a far better vocabulary than I have. Still, I am sure there is room for improvement. You could do this by reading a lot(obviously!) and getting a really old book published in 1949 : “Word Power Made Easy” by Norman Lewis. You can get it here from Amazon.
- Now let me say one thing : The skills in English are about 60%-80% of the CLAT battle. These will come in handy to you in English, Logical, as well as Legal Reasoning. In some cases like CLAT 2024, it could come in handy in the GK section too.
- Thirdly, you have to keep track of GK and current affairs. But hold there, you don’t have to do it just yet. The current affairs section should be started only after you are in class 12. The GK part can also be taken up there.
- Fourthly, you need to work on your maths. Many of you would be good with maths, and that’s great. Keep up with that, specially the calculation skills. Maths is about 10% of CLAT 2026. That might sound unimportant but believe me, this is what will let you be above the rest of the competition.
Embarking on CLAT 2026 preparation requires a balanced and strategic approach. Beginning early, honing essential skills, and gradually delving into specific subjects will set the stage for success. Remember, CLAT preparation is a marathon, not a sprint, and starting off on the right foot lays the groundwork for a triumphant journey.
Do join the whatsapp group or just contact me personally on 9456331884 for a free consultation.